Friday, March 14, 2014

An open letter to my congressman


Congressman Raul Labrador is my representative and over-all I cannot complain.  I like the guy and as far as politicians go, this one is pretty good.
One thing I like about Raul is that he frequently sends out emails on what he is up to, and whether or not I like what he does, him telling me what he is up to is a necessary and good thing for him to do.
Here's a sample of the first paragraph of his latest letter, which I am responding to here:
This week, the House took action to ensure that President Obama does not ignore his Constitutional duties and abuse his power.  I joined a majority of my colleagues in voting for H.R. 4138, the Executive Needs to Faithfully Observe and Respect Congressional Enactments of the Law (ENFORCE the Law) Act.  This bill would grant the House or Senate the authority to file a lawsuit against the executive branch for failure to faithfully execute the laws.  I am a cosponsor of this bill. 
I appreciate my representative watching the executive and making sure he doesn't abuse his power or neglect his duties.  However....
Congress is probably the most out-of-line branch of our federal government and has been for the longest time.
Top 3 things Congress should correct

  1. Repeal the Executive Order power granted to Lincoln by Congress in the 1860s.  After all, the Constitution says "Congress shall make all laws" and "all" usually means ALL!  Delegating this power is a clear and simple violation of the separation of powers (go talk to Feinstein about that one!) 
  2. Repeal the Federal Reserve Act and the Income Tax as both are clearly unconstitutional and VERY damaging to our economy.
  3. Repeal the FDR New Deal agencies (and all agencies created since) as this allows congress to essentially mess with the executive branch besides the point of diluting their control of law and overstepping Federal jurisdiction (see the 10th amendment).
There are, of course, lots more congress could do, but I think these three alone would save this nation from certain doom.
Congress isn't there to pass legislation created by lobbyists paid for my special interests to meddle in every little problem that might be brought before them.  Congress' main job is to perfect the law.  That is, create the smallest amount of law with the least amount of contradictions in the clearest possible form so that even a simple juror can easily apply and judge the law and every American can understand it and easily read it in its entirety in a single lifetime.

So why am I writing this in an open letter on my blog?  
Because I have one more gripe.
The way our congress sets up its web forms for communication with the people is stupid.  
  1. They do not remember my contact information.
  2. They unnecessarily require me to give them a 10 digit zip code.
  3. They do not give out an email address with which I can communicate with them easily once my identity and appropriate status is confirmed.  Doing this allows back-and-forth communication much more easily.
With all the cyber-crap the federal government is doing, why can't they put some resources to improve representative/elector communication?  (A: Because they don't want to!) It is very clear even congress doesn't want too much transparency.

Nuff Said for now.

Sandy

1 comment:

  1. I asked Raul to reply to this note. If he does, I will post it here for all to see.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I can always do better.